Welcome to the Wyoming Trauma System! It is very important to make sure your contact information is up to date with the Trauma Program. Please click the button below and you will be redirected to a simple form that you will need to complete with your most up to date information. If you have any questions regarding this process, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Kelli or Aundrea and they would be happy to help.
What is my role as a Trauma Coordinator?
The Trauma Coordinator is a registered nurse who is responsible for monitoring and coordinating trauma services to ensure an organized multidisciplinary team approach to the care of the trauma patient using performance and quality improvement processes. This responsibility includes pre-hospital care and extends through the patient’s reintegration into the community. Trauma performance and quality improvement includes both system issues and case studies.
Major Duties and Responsibilities of the Trauma Coordinator
- Utilizes and thoroughly documents all aspects of the trauma program performance and quality improvement process
- Participates in planning, developing, organizing, and evaluation of the trauma program and local system
- Serves as a technical resource for trauma care in the facility and community
- Coordinates nursing aspects of the trauma program with leadership and administration
- With the multidisciplinary trauma committee, establishes with the trauma team, priorities of care and ongoing assessment of trauma patients, from admission to discharge
- Assists staff in problem solving related to the care of the traumatically injured patient, equipment and procedures.
- Develops and reviews standards of patient care, procedures and policies for trauma patients in collaboration with appropriate disciplines
- In conjunction with the Trauma Medical Director, monitors all aspects of internal and pre-hospital care of trauma patients
- Assists the trauma team in the investigation and resolution of problems and concerns in the area of trauma care
- Maintains the trauma registry, gathers statistics and data, identifies trends and provides follow-up
- Conducts trauma nursing audits
- In conjunction with the Trauma Medical Director, coordinates trauma medical audits
- Analyzes trauma data, researches problems, and assists trauma team in procuring immediate and long-range solutions.
- Assists in identification of staff education needs and works cooperatively with other hospital departments to coordinate educational opportunities in trauma care
- Responsible for coordinating resources necessary to ensure that the trauma service meets state designation requirements
- Responsible for the internal coordination of the state trauma designation review
- Attends trauma team meetings.
- Participates in community trauma prevention programs.
Please click the link below to be redirected to the Montana Trauma Coordinator Course. Please note that the Montana Trauma System and the Trauma System in Wyoming are not identical, but the modules that make up this course provide the basics of a trauma system. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact Kelli or Aundrea for assistance.