All requests postmarked on or after July 1, 2018 will be assessed fees based on the new fee schedule.
Vital Statistics Services files adoptions for persons born in Wyoming. If you were born in another state, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) “Where to Write” web page to find contact information for other states and territories.
How to File an Adoption
- Complete the Wyoming Report of Adoption for each child prior to petitioning a Wyoming court for an adoption.
- Once the Adoption has been finalized, our office requires:
- An original certified copy of the Final Decree of Adoption*
- An original certified copy of the Report of Adoption*
- An Application for Birth Certificate following Adoption
- Complete the Adoption Application form. Be sure to complete all sections and include the proper identification and $45 fee.
- Send the certified copy of the Final Decree, the Wyoming Report of Adoption, the Adoption Application, a photocopy of your ID (such as a driver’s license) and a $45 fee to our office. The fee can be made via a personalized check (third party checks aren’t accepted) or money order made payable to Vital Statistics Services. The fee also includes one certified copy of the new record.
- Send to:
Vital Statistics Services
2300 Capitol Avenue
Hathaway Building, Room 172
Cheyenne, WY 82002
- Vital Statistics Services will review the documentation submitted to ensure accuracy. If there are no discrepancies we will move forward with the adoption processing. If we find errors you will be contacted to address these errors prior to filing.
- If the event did not occur in Wyoming, we will not able to process your request.
- For any questions regarding adoptions, please call 307-777-7866
*If the adoption was filed in a Wyoming court, the court will forward these documents to Vital Statistics Services