Vital Statistics Services files adoptions for persons born in Wyoming. If you were born in another state, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) “Where to Write” web page to find contact information for other states and territories.
How to File an Adoption
- Complete the Wyoming Report of Adoption and have it certified by the District Court that granted the adoption.
- Obtain a certified copy of the Final Decree of Adoption.
- Draft and address a letter to Vital Statistics Services that provides an explanation of what you need our office to do. Be sure to sign this letter.
- Send the certified copy of the Final Decree, the Wyoming Report of Adoption, the letter, a photocopy of your ID (such as a driver’s license) and a $16 fee to our office. The fee can be made via a personalized check (third party checks aren’t accepted) or money order made payable to Vital Statistics Services. The fee also includes one certified copy of the new record.
- Send to:
Vital Statistics Services
2300 Capitol Avenue
Hathaway Building, Room 172
Cheyenne, WY 82002
- Vital Statistics Services will review the documentation submitted to ensure accuracy. If there are no discrepancies we will move forward with the adoption processing. If we find errors you will be contacted to address these errors prior to filing.
- If the event did not occur in Wyoming, we will not able to process your request.
- For any questions regarding adoptions, please call 307-777-7866