The more things change, the more they stay the same.
In 1920, the Wyoming State Board of Health deemed it appropriate to appoint Agnes Cogan as the supervisor of Public Health Nursing in the state of Wyoming.1 This was the first mention of public health nursing in the minutes of the board meetings.
This program, funding wise, was tenuous. Their budget allocation for 1925 was $3,200, as opposed to an $8,000 budget that was given in 1920. Frustration was aired in the report as it stated that “at the same hour, on the same night, it [the State Legislature] appropriated $10,000 for the hygiene of bees.”
The first Wyoming Public Health Nurses.
Memories abound for Penelope (Penny) Gordon Johnson who became the first public health nurse in the Big Horn Basin when she started the public health nursing services for Big Horn County in December, 1936.
At the close of 1940, the personnel of this division consisted of the director and thirteen Public Health Nurses. The nurses were placed in the counties listed; along with the date on which the service started.