The Veterans’ Home of Wyoming was established in 1898 as a state veterans home to provide domiciliary care to honorably discharged veterans. The home was originally in Cheyenne, Wyoming at Fort D.A. Russell, which is now F.E. Warren Air Force Base.
The home was moved to its present location in 1903 and was known until the mid-1980s as the Wyoming Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Home. The name was changed to the Veterans’ Home of Wyoming during the mid-1980s to include all veteran groups.
The home’s quiet surroundings and modern facilities are located on the former site of Fort McKinney, which was constructed in 1877 and later disbanded in 1893. The federal government donated the grounds to the State of Wyoming to be used in the care of veteran residents.
A major expansion completed in 2023, known as the Veterans’ Home of Wyoming Skilled Nursing Community, added three cottages dedicated to offering a higher level of care to veterans needing more help.