The Wyoming Public Health Laboratory (WPHL) accepts all COVID-19 samples from:
- Symptomatic patients,
- Close contacts of persons with SARS-CoV-2 infection,
- Neonates born to women with COVID-19, and
- Post-mortem swabs from individuals suspected to have COVID-19.
In addition, WPHL will accept samples collected through epidemiological investigations in congregate and other high-risk settings.
WPHL does not provide testing for asymptomatic individuals who do not meet these criteria.
Accepted Specimen Types:
The WPHL continues to recommend collection of a nasopharyngeal swab for COVID-19 testing. Oral swabs are also acceptable.
While nasal swabs, lower respiratory tract aspirates, bronchoalveolar lavage, and nasopharyngeal wash/aspirate or nasal aspirate specimens are accepted, the performance of the COVID-19 test has not been evaluated on these specimen types.
WPHL also offers saliva-based SARS-CoV-2 testing using the SaliaDirect assay.
- Click for SalivaDirect Fact Sheet for Healthcare Providers
- Click for SalivaDirect Fact Sheet for Patients
COVID-19 Specimen Collection and Shipping Supplies:
Specimen collection and shipping supplies for COVID-19 testing should not be requested using the routine Supply Order Form. Click here for instructions for requesting COVID-19 specimen collection and shipping supplies.
For questions about COVID-19 testing results, please email: email@example.com
For information on COVID-19 testing at long-term care facilities (e.g., nursing homes, assisted living facilities) please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here for Category B shipping instructions
Other COVID-19 Information:
Please click here for to view Wyoming State Health Advisories and Guidance for COVID-19, which provides guidance on:
- Provider testing recommendations
- Reporting persons with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 to the Wyoming Department of Health
- Clinical management
- Control measures and infection prevention and control recommendations
- Guidance on the duration of isolation and subsequent testing and quarantine can be found in the State Health Advisory Supplement
If your facility is planning a large testing event and plans to send a large number of specimens to WPHL, please coordinate with WPHL at least a week prior to the event. Email email@example.com to coordinate.