I’m the new trauma coordinator… Now what??
First, don’t panic! Welcome to the Wyoming Trauma System!!
Second, it is very important to get in contact with Kelli who will help you get started.
email@example.com -or- (307) 777-3470
**The Wyoming Trauma System consists of a vast network of trauma program coordinators and registrars to help guide and mentor you.**
Hospital or Acute Care Facility Trauma Coordinator Role
The Trauma Coordinator is a registered nurse who is responsible for monitoring and coordinating trauma services to ensure an organized multidisciplinary team approach to the care of the trauma patient using performance and quality improvement processes. This responsibility includes pre-hospital care and extends through the patient’s reintegration into the community. Trauma performance and quality improvement includes both system issues and case studies.
Major Duties & Responsibilities of the Trauma Coordinator
- Utilizes and thoroughly documents all aspects of the trauma program performance and quality improvement process
- Participates in planning, developing, organizing, and evaluation of the trauma program and local system
- Serves as a technical resource for trauma care in the facility and community
- Coordinates nursing aspects of the trauma program with leadership and administration
- With the multidisciplinary trauma committee, establishes with the trauma team, priorities of care and ongoing assessment of trauma patients, from admission to discharge
- Assists staff in problem solving related to the care of the traumatically injured patient, equipment and procedures.
- Develops and reviews standards of patient care, procedures and policies for trauma patients in collaboration with appropriate disciplines
- In conjunction with the Trauma Medical Director, monitors all aspects of internal and pre-hospital care of trauma patients
- Assists the trauma team in the investigation and resolution of problems and concerns in the area of trauma care
- Maintains the trauma registry, gathers statistics and data, identifies trends and provides follow-up
- Conducts trauma nursing audits
- In conjunction with the Trauma Medical Director, coordinates trauma medical audits
- Analyzes trauma data, researches problems, and assists trauma team in procuring immediate and long-range solutions.
- Assists in identification of staff education needs and works cooperatively with other hospital departments to coordinate educational opportunities in trauma care
- Responsible for coordinating resources necessary to ensure that the trauma service meets state designation requirements
- Responsible for the internal coordination of the state trauma designation review
- Attends trauma team meetings.
- Participates in community trauma prevention programs.
Trauma Region Map
** Please note that designation status’ may have changed since map update
Wyoming Trauma Rules
Wyoming Trauma Registry
Registry Troubleshooting, Access and Password Reset:
Please contact Kelli Perrotti (307) 777-7955 or Jay Ostby (307) 777-6023
Trauma Performance Improvement
Sample Performance Improvement Tracking Forms:
Resources for Optimal Care of the Injured Patient – Sixth Edition (Orange book): https://www.facs.org/quality%20programs/trauma
National Trauma Data Dictionary: http://www.ntdsdictionary.org/
Other State Trauma Websites
If you have any questions regarding any of the resources on this page, or if you would like additional guidance, please feel free to contact Kelli Perrotti:
Kelli Perrotti, BSN, RN Trauma Program Coordinator
Office: (307) 777-7955 or (888) 228-8996 in Wyoming
Direct: (307) 777-3470