Beginning this month (September), Vital Statistics Services will be issuing certifications on a new “Wyoming” themed paper.
This paper has noticeable changes to it. The paper’s colors are the most obvious, changed from a red and blue combination to Wyoming’s brown and gold. The brown raised intaglio border provides for a quick “feel” verification, where the border’s printing provides for a raised edge to the paper. Please be on the lookout for the new paper.
Marriage and Divorce Application
This office is only able to issue certificates for those events that occurred in Wyoming. If the marriage or divorce didn’t occur in Wyoming, we can’t issue a record.
If your vital event occurred in another state, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) “Where to Write” web page to find contact information for other states and territories
Marriage and Divorce Certificate Details
Marriage and divorce records may be obtained by:
- Either party
- Lawyer acting for either party
- Full names of applicant and spouse (husband, wife, or partner) including prior surname if applicable
- Date of occurrence
- City or county of occurrence
- Signature of applicant or spouse (husband, wife, or partner) named on certificate
- Mailing address where record is to be mailed
- Identification: Requests must include a photocopy of the driver’s license, State ID card, or passport of the person requesting the certificate. We will also accept a notarized signature of the person making the request. The copy should be enlarged to make sure it is legible.
- The fee for obtaining marriage or divorce certificates is $20
- If a record is not located, your $20 fee will be retained as a searching fee.
- Marriage and divorce records since May 1941 are on file. Previous records must be obtained from the county clerk where the license was issued.
- Records that are over 50 years old should be obtained from Wyoming State Archives.
Payment and Expediting Requests
Requests should be submitted along with the fee. Money orders or a bank-personalized check from the person making the request should be made payable to Vital Statistics Services. Please enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope with the request. All personal checks are only accepted when:
- The requestor is entitled to the record and
- The check is bank-personalized and on the account of the person making the request
Third-party or non-bank personalized checks will not be processed.
- Requests can be sent to Vital Statistics Services by any overnight delivery service. If you wish to have your certificates returned by means other than first class mail, please supply us with a Pre-Paid, self-addressed envelope for FedEx, UPS, or US Postal express mail. Both FedEx and UPS envelopes will be required to have a FedEx or UPS Account Number listed on the label and should list your address as both the sender and the addressee. We cannot accept labels that have a credit card number listed, these requests will be sent out First Class mail if received.
- We will process all requests as quickly as possible, but be aware it can take up to five business days for a request to be processed.
Vital Statistics Services
2300 Capitol Avenue
Cheyenne, WY 82002