Beginning this month (September), Vital Statistics Services will be issuing certifications on a new “Wyoming” themed paper.
This paper has noticeable changes to it. The paper’s colors are the most obvious, changed from a red and blue combination to Wyoming’s brown and gold. The brown raised intaglio border provides for a quick “feel” verification, where the border’s printing provides for a raised edge to the paper. Please be on the lookout for the new paper.
This office is only able to issue certificates for those events that occurred in Wyoming. If the death didn’t occur in Wyoming, we can’t issue a record.
If your vital event occurred in another state, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) “Where to Write” web page to find contact information for other states and territories.
Death Certificate Details
Death certificates may be obtained by:
- Immediate family members (spouse, child, parent)
- Lawyers representing the immediate family (Must have lawyer’s signature and copy of bar card or state-issued ID.)
- Bank, executors of estate, insurance company, or anyone requiring a certificate to pay a policy or death benefit on the decedent with proper documentation.
- Rules allow issuance to other family members or an attorney to settle estates and other legal matters. Applicants will need to submit proof of the matter and relation (if applicable) along with this application. Failure to submit proof will result in processing delays.
- If you are not named on the death certificate, please be prepared to prove relationship to the decedent.
- Full name on death record
- Date of death
- City or county of death
- Relationship to deceased
- Purpose for which copy is needed
- Signature of person making request
- Mailing address where record is to be mailed
- Identification: Requests must include a current photocopy of the driver’s license, State ID card, or passport of the person requesting the certificate. We will also accept a notarized signature of the person making the request. The copy should be enlarged to make sure that it is legible.
- The fee for obtaining death certificates is $15 for the 1st copy and $10 for each additional copy.
- If the date of death is unknown, a searching fee of $25 for every five years searched is charged, which includes either a certified copy or verification of the record if one is found. If a record is not located, your fee will be retained.
- Death records are on file since July 1909. Death records that are 50 years old should be obtained from Wyoming State Archives.
In situations involving foreign countries, an apostille may be needed. An apostille is a method of authenticating a document for use in another country. With this authentication a document is recognized in the country of intended use without further action necessary from a consulate or embassy. The Secretary of State’s Office provides the apostille service, which requires a SEPARATE FORM and SEPARATE PAYMENT. If you have further questions regarding the apostille process please contact the Services Division using the information provided on the Secretary of State Contact Page. For general information, FAQs, and the Authentication Request Form please use the following site: More information about apostilles from the Wyoming Secretary of State.
Payment and Expediting Requests:
Requests should be submitted along with the fee. Money orders or a bank-personalized check from the person making the request should be made payable to Vital Statistics Services. Please enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope with the request. Personal checks are only accepted when:
- The requestor is entitled to the record and
- The check is bank-personalized and on the account of the person making the request
Third-party or non-bank personalized checks will not be processed.
Vital Statistics Services
2300 Capitol Avenue
Cheyenne, WY 82002
- Requests can be sent to Vital Statistics Services by any overnight delivery service. If you wish to have your certificates returned by means other than first class mail, please supply us with a Pre-Paid, self-addressed envelope for FedEx, UPS, or US Postal express mail. Both FedEx and UPS envelopes will be required to have a FedEx or UPS Account Number listed on the label and should list your address as both the sender and the addressee. We cannot accept labels that have a credit card number listed, these requests will be sent out First Class mail if received.
- We will process all requests as quickly as possible, but be aware it can take up to five business days for a request to be processed.