Skip Navigation LinksWyoming Department of Health Healthcare Financing Medicaid Eligibility WY EqualityCare Institutionalized Individuals

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Many pages on this site may not display properly for Internet Explorer 11 users. Please consider another browser such as Chrome or Firefox.


Nursing Home/Swing Bed and Inpatient Hospital Care

The Institutional programs are an option for those individuals who are waiting for or need Long Term Care and are unable to continue to live in the community. This would include Nursing Home Care and Inpatient Hospital Care. 

  You must be:
  • A U.S. Citizen or a lawful permanent resident who has lived in the U.S. for at least five years
  • A Wyoming resident
  • Age 65 or older, blind or disabled
  • Medically eligible based on needs assessment completed by a public health nurse (nursing home only)
  • Hospitalized for 30 days (remain in an institution for at least 30 consecutive days) or verified as SSI eligible
  • Income eligible
    • Gross monthly income limit is $2,199
      • Individuals with income above $2,199 may qualify by establishing an Income Trust
  • Resource eligible - limits are:
    • Individual: $2,000
    • Couple: $3,000, when both are applying
    • Couple: $119,220 when one is applying
      • Medicaid does not count as resources the home you live in (if the value is under $552,000), one vehicle or personal property (e.g., clothing, furnishings)  

What do Institutional programs cost?

A client is responsible to contribute to the cost of his or her care. This payment, often referred to as a patient contribution, is payable to the facility. The patient contribution is calculated using the individual’s total income less the following allowable deductions:

  •  $50.00 for personal needs
  •  Court ordered garnished child support
  •  Spousal maintenance allowance
  •  Medical expenses not covered by Medicaid, Medicare, private insurance, or a third party
  •  Medicare premium may be deducted for the first two months of eligibility
  •  Health insurance premium

 *Patient contribution does not apply to Inpatient Hospital care.

How do I apply?

You may apply online at, download a Medicaid Application in English or Spanish or contact the Long Term Care Unit at 855-203-2936.   


What do I need to apply?

  •  Verification of U.S. Citizenship and identity
  •  Provide a Social Security Number or verification that you have applied for one
  •  Documents to verify income and resources